Congratulate me, as I’ve got my standing desk.
At last, something I’ve planned for months happened!
This is how my desk looks now.
I know what most of you are going to say now:
- Maaan! You can’t stand all day long, it will hurt your feet.
- You will become less productive, as you will get tired and won’t be able to work much enough.
Well, be sure I really thought through my comfy chair’s retirement. I spent probably 18 years of my life sitting 6-8 hours in average every day. And I regret that a lot, as it clearly was not good for my body and health.
So here is quick response to all of your questions:
- It hurts your feet during 1st week, and goes away after. Nothing compares the feeling of physical work done at the end of a workday. Every evening feels like I took a short run of 5km.
- I am more than enough focused and productive! Concentration has significantly grown, and there is just no way you are going spend time on some crap site browsing if your are really tired of standing on your feet all day.
If you are too tired it also pushes you away from your workplace - which is great for me as well (I always had a habit of overstaying at office daily).
Standing desks are becoming a trending fashion all over the world.
Silicon Valley is the place where those are used most I guess.
- Here is a great article about trends from The Wall Street Journal:
Standing Desks Are On The Rise.
- Olivia Judson explains why standing desk might save your life at New York Times:
Stand Up While You Read This.
- And this one from Mashable for desert:
Are You Sitting Down? Why a Stand-Up Desk Might Save Your Life
Not convinced yet?
- Here is an article from someone who went through the transition already:
Why and How I Switched to Standing Desk.
Getting the desk
So how do you get such a desk for yourself? Believe me it can be It can be complicated.
Here in Yerevan (Armenia) there is no Ikea (yet), and no-one actually are using standing desks.
After browsing all furniture shops, I found out that I will never find an adjustable standing desk. So the only option was converting my current one.
I got the professional and it worked out very well and easy.
A simple add-on for each side of the desk brought my desk to the height where I can work very comfortably. Also cut wood pieces will help you to adjust the height.
Here is the scheme:
Have fun and take care of your back!
Eric Ries and Lean Startup movement is conquering hearts of startups entrepreneurs and investors (this is not news actually).
Eric just released a book The Lean Startup which is extremely recommended.
And here is his speech at Web 2.0 EXPO 2009 with slides below.